Tuesday 14 April 2015

Evaluation Question Two: How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary text?


When I was creating my digipak I followed a theme of love, life and death with an underlying theme of classic American rock. When creating my album front cover I decided I wanted to have an image overlapping another image to represent memories of love and happiness. When I started to create my products I aimed to create cohesion so all my products complemented each other as they are intended to be part of a promotional package, therefore, should show continuity and work well together. I decided to give a name to my artist, the lifeline as in the video he sees the girl as his lifeline and without her he is lost and all alone, not knowing what to do. I looked at different fonts on dafont.com for a font that I thought was simple and bold and found this one.I really liked the font because I thought it stood out and was clean cut with the straight lines. I used this font for the name of the artist on the spine and front cover of the digipak and to show the name of the artist on the magazine advert. This shows continuity between my products, making them more effective. Also by using this font for the artists name and using it on other products starts to create a logo for the artist that the audience can then recognize.  I decided on the album name forever because the theme of my album is love, life and death and my video suggests that the boy is going to love the girl forever. The font I decided on for the album name was from Photoshop, again I decided I wanted a bold font but not as edgy or clean cut as the artist’s name. I liked this font because it was bold but rounded, giving a warmer feel. Again, similarly to the artists name I decided to use the same font on both my ancillary texts to show the continuity between products. I chose these fonts as they are bold and simple and I feel that they relate to my music video as my video has a bold narrative as well as showing that life is not clean cut as the fonts I have used are straight but have rounded edges suggesting there is no straight line you can follow in life and it may curve at any point (relating to the narrative as the boys life was changed when the girl died).  I decided to add the image of a lifeline to separate the name of the artist and the name of the album. I feel the lifeline fits in well as the name of the artist is the lifeline and give you the impression of life or death which is part of the theme of my album. I placed this on both my ancillary texts to show continuity linking both products together. 
I decided on the picture of the car to go on my front cover as it relates to my underlying theme of classic American rock as it is a classic American car, which also features in my music video. Over the top of the car I have decided to add a picture of my actor and actress’ hands very close, almost holding hands representing the love part of my theme however as it is only faint, it could be seen as just another memory, such as the memories and flashbacks my artist has in the video therefore relating to the life and death part of my theme. The picture of the heart locket and the angel wing together symbol life and death, a theme that is running throughout my products and showing continuity in my products. I have only placed one image of my artist on the inside cover of my digipak to show my audience who the artist is and again shows the theme of love as the boy and girl are looking intently at each other and have their arms around each other. As I also have an underlying old American rock the artwork for the disk holders relates to this as it is a country road similar to that in my video that the car would be driven down relating to my theme of the album. For the back cover I decided that I wanted the track list to be the main focus of the audience’s attention so created a note type background with the track list on and behind I put a record player linking to my classic American rock theme. The image of the car and the roads show continuity within my products as the car features in my video as well as on the cover of the album. The album cover features my artists hands over the image of the car which shows continuity between both my ancillary texts as the picture of the hands is the name image on advert and my video does feature my artist and the girl holding hands. Overall there is a lot of continuity with imagery in my products as I feel it links the products for my audience and complement each other. 
When I was creating my magazine advert I followed the theme of love, life and death, the same as I did with the digipak to have continuity within my products. I also used the same fonts for the artist name and album name, creating a sort of logo for my artist and allowing the audience to get familiar with it, this also shows continuity in my products. The main image I used for my advert is the image I used on my front cover although this is the full image and not the faded out version. The adverts has a theme of love as the image shows my actor and actress nearly holding hands, like they are shy but really want to hold each other’s hand, giving a mystical loved feel to the image.  
I decided to ask some of my peers how effective they thought the combination of my main products and ancillary texts was and this was their response. 
I am pleased with the feedback I got from my peers as they agree that my products show continuity and complement each other. My peers also recognize the themes in my products clearly and that the images in my ancillary products reflect the narrative of my video. 




My target audience are in social group E therefore I would price my digipak at £11.99, an affordable price for my target audience as they probably would not have much money due people in category E are generally students aged 16-24 and have to rely on parents or guardians for money unless they have a part time job. In addition to selling my digipak in shops such as HMV, I would sell my album as a download on websites such as Itunes. As this is a downloadable version I would price my album at £7.99 and the single at 99p. These prices are the same as similar artists album and by pricing them higher I may lose customers because they can not afford to buy it. 

To conclude I feel like I have created an effective combanation of my main product and two ancillary texts. I feel like there is overall continuity between all 3 of my products and it is clear that they are all promoting the same product. However it is not unconventional to have differences between the music video and the advert and digipak as the video is promoting one song, not thw full album where the digipak and advert are, although I do not feel like there is huge differences between my products and the small differences have not made a huge difference and made my products less effective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment